Summary of Key Results and Accomplishments from the Higher Education Sprout Project 2020
Taking teaching as the core
1. Encouraging university teachers to innovate teaching methods: We encourage teachers to apply innovative teaching methods on their courses. The ratio of those teachers who adopted innovative models of teaching rose from 23.2% in 2018 to 71.08% in 2020.
2. Establishing faculty professional communities: To promote teachers to innovate their teaching method, we invited teachers who have certification of distance learning course to share their experience and demonstrate digital learning courses. According to the demonstration, we encourage teachers to design their course materials with innovative and creative ideas.
3. Cultivating students' abilities of critical thinking and professional skills: We offer students of various opportunities of profession applications, and encourage academic departments to design certification tutorial class which shows strong links with professional courses to improve students’ skills to pass the certification exams. For instance, the number of our students to pass the certification of level B technician for Employment Service which is hard to pass achieved over 2 times higher than average success rate.
Developing University features
1. Inspiring students with interdisciplinary learning from international activities: In 2020, We attended the virtual The 22nd Domatsuri Festival "TeleDomatsuri" due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 54 students and faculties from the Department of Dance attended the performance. When our students performed with the background of historical scenes in Tainan , they combined the concept of Ba-Jia-Jiang to design an art array which fully showed the culture of Taiwan to the world; meanwhile, our students are also inspired by intercultural interaction.
2. Cultivating Talent of traditional craft: The number of students who take craft courses from different professions increased significantly during 2017-2020. In our school, we established unique International Embroidery Research and Development Center, and invited specialists from home and abroad to instruct students.
Making resources more public
1. Institutional Research Center to self-monitor performance and accountability: The publications of the relevant information and data of university performance and management rose from 19 in 2018 to 23 in 2020. We also established storage platform of institutional research info and basic database to train relative faculties in order to analyze school data.
2. Improve the structure of teachers’ composition: In 2018-2020, we have 17 new faculties joined our school, including 1 associate professor, 14 assistant professors and 2 lecturers. 15 of them are under the age of 45, and 2 of them are above the age of 50.
Fulfilling social responsibility
1. USR-centered courses: We combine USR-related activities into professional courses and successfully developed 40 USR-centered courses. Students engaged in project associated with community issues and societal problem-solving.
2. Nexusing of regional industry-academia partnership: We experimente a local farmer vegetable-taking station and an agriculture experience base inside the campus. In addition, the Embroidery Research and Development Center held craft experience camp for 100 students from elementary school.