Summary of Key Results and Accomplishments from the Higher Education Sprout Project Phase I
Taking teaching as the core
1. Encouraging university teachers to innovate teaching methods: We encourage teachers to apply innovative teaching methods on their courses. The ratio of those teachers who adopted innovative models of teaching rose from 23.2% in 2018 to 51.38% in 2019.
2. Establishing faculty professional communities: To promote teachers to innovate their teaching method, we invited teachers who have certification of distance learning course to share their experience and demonstrate digital learning courses. According to the demonstration, we encourage teachers to design their course materials with innovative and creative ideas.
3. Cultivating students' abilities of critical thinking and professional skills: We offer students of various opportunities of profession applications, and encourage academic departments to design certification tutorial class which shows strong links with professional courses to improve students’ skills to pass the certification exams. For instance, the number of our students to pass the certification of level B technician for Employment Service which is hard to pass achieved over 2 times higher than average success rate.
Developing University features
1. Inspiring students with interdisciplinary learning from international activities: We try to internationalize our school with cultural and creative specialty. For example, 29 students and faculties in the department of multimedia and animation was invited by Hansung University to visit related industries in Seoul.
2. International marketing with cultural and creative talent: We sent 65 students and faculties in the Department of Dance to attend YOSAKOI, Japan in 2019. When our students performed in Japan, they combined the concept of Hakka Flower Fabric to design an art array which fully showed the culture of Taiwan to the world; meanwhile, our students are also inspired by intercultural interaction.
3. Cultivating Talent of traditional craft: The number of students who take craft courses from different professions increased above 6 times during 2017-2019. In our school, we established unique International Embroidery Research and Development Center, and invited specialists from home and abroad to instruct students.
Making resources more public
1. Institutional Research Center to self-monitor performance and accountability: The publications of the relevant information and data of university performance and management rose from 19 in 2018 to 21 in 2019. We also established storage platform of institutional research info and basic database to train relative faculties in order to analyze school data.
2. Improve the structure of teachers’ composition: In 2017-2018, we have 16 new faculties joined our school, including 1 associate professor, 13 assistant professors and 2 lecturers. 14 of them are under the age of 45, and 2 of them are above the age of 50.
Fulfilling social responsibility
1. Local brand value-adding by cultural creativity design: We helped local farmers pack their products, assembled local farmers into an APP (30 farmers), and held local creative life markets (2036 participants).
2. Nexusing of regional industry-academia partnership: We experimented a local farmer vegetable-taking station and an agriculture experience base inside the campus. In addition, the Embroidery Research and Development Center held craft experience camp for 290 students under junior high school.